Second US death linked to vaping is reported in Oregon
In late August, an IL person died from the lung illness after using an e-cigarette.
"Our investigation has not yielded exactly what it is in this product", Thomas said.
"We just don't know so much about the various ingredients, the flavoring, the oils, the heavy metals that have been found in some of the vaping substances", he said. According to the Washington Post, the cases span 29 states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said in a statement released Friday (Aug. 30).
"However, we know enough already about what e-cigarettes contain, how they work, and how they are used, to be very confident that e-cigarettes simply can not be remotely as risky as cigarette smoking", the Consumer Advocates for Smoke Free Alternatives Association (CASAA) writes.
Last month, the Illinois Department of Public Health announced the first such death amid a growing number of similar lung illnesses across the country. The agencies also cautioned against altering commercial vaping products or consuming home-brew substances. All the patients, however, reported they also used other types of vaping products.
OR health officials say the person had symptoms similar those of more than 200 other cases of respiratory illness potentially linked to vaping.
Such proposals have been derided by Republicans and conservatives as efforts to expand the so-called "nanny state" - and prevent Americans from deciding for themselves whether to use a product or not.
At least one vitamin E acetate vape product has been linked to each patient who submitted a product for testing.
No cause for the mystery illness has so far been identified - and the link to THC products is not yet clear.
In Wisconsin, health officials said Thursday that a majority of the cases in their state had inhaled THC products.
In general, all marijuana intended for sale at a legal dispensary is tested for pesticides and potency, as well as for solvents, if the product is not dried marijuana flower.
In light of the reports, health officials are urging individuals who experience chest pain or difficulty breathing after vaping to seek immediate medical attention before their symptoms worsen.
"The products are highly addictive".
It advised people not to use any vape products unless they are certified patients in the state's medical marijuana program.
"The severity of illness people are experiencing is alarming, and we must get the word out that using e-cigarettes and vaping can be unsafe", says IDPH Director Ngozi Ezike, MD, in a statement. "Regardless of the ongoing investigation, e-cigarette products should not be used by youth, young adults, pregnant women, as well as adults who do not now use tobacco products".
Health experts say nicotine is harmful to developing brains.